Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hafis Bertschinger / Switzerland


I picked out a paper scroll I had started working on while we were both staying at the cité des arts. Unused to living close to noisy highways days and nights as we did in the center of Paris, near the Seine-autoroute, I was often woken up during long hours. To pass the time I would sketch or paint the subject of my unrest: modern trafic, a nightmare.

As you well remember, I liked to work on scrolls or leporellos, like writing a diary. To link with our common Paris-experience, I picked up an unfinished 6-meter paper - scroll with trafic noise as a theme. Meaning a night-marish lamentation of movements, accidents and explosions. I started working on this first scroll and the more I added to it, the more it irritated me. As you and other artists friends know: we sometimes kill our work by overdoing it. That is what happened to my first sketch, while continuing to add to it once I was back in Switzerland. Disgusted, I prepared a new scroll made of vlies the same size as the first one and began painting using the same elements all over again. I repeated this rigmarole five times over during the last few weeks...


No comments:

Post a Comment